MEAP supports projects to to preserve, document, and digitize collections at risk from environmental conditions, political uncertainty, inherently unsustainable media, inappropriate storage, or communal and social change.
- Call for Applications available in: Arabic, English, Farsi, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Malay, Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili
- Preliminary Applications due Friday, Nov 15, 2021 at https://meap.smapply.io/
- Informational Webinar for all Applicants | Tuesday, October 19, 2021 (9 am Pacific Time)
- Explore available Applicant Resources
We offer two levels of support for projects to organize, collect, convert and describe archival material or existing digital assets. All digital objects created through MEAP projects will be published online by the UCLA Library at meap.library.ucla.edu.
PLANNING GRANTS of up to $15,000 to evaluate or survey collections for digitization and/or curation. Planning grant projects can be up to one year in length.
PROJECT GRANTS of up to $50,000 to digitize archival content or curation of already-digital assets. Grant funded projects should address the full lifecycle of digitization, including the imaging as well as content description and digital asset delivery to the UCLA Library. Project grants can be up to two years in length.
Projects should be well organized before digitization begins. If you require substantial time to evaluate and survey the archival material, you should consider applying for a planning grant.
EMERGENCY GRANTS of up to $10,000 for 6 months of digitizations are available outside the regular funding cycle. Applications must be invited. To inquire, email meap [@] library.ucla.edu with information about the endangered collection and why there is an urgent need for digitization.
- Applications open September 2021 at https://meap.smapply.io/
- Informational Webinar for Applicants [Registration Required] | Tuesday, October 19, 2021 (9am Pacific Time)
- Preliminary Applications | Due Friday, November 15, 2021
- Preliminary round decisions sent in December 2021
- Detailed Applications | Due February 14, 2021
- Referee Reports [Detailed Application Only] | Due Monday, February 28, 2021